Welcome to the personal website of Professor Richard Boys
- Bayesian statistics: computationally intensive methods; inference for partially observed stochastic processes; applications mainly in science, social science and medicine.
- Statistical bioinformatics and stochastic systems biology: stochastic models in molecular biology, hidden Markov models for DNA sequences, phylogenetic inference
Current research projects:
- Data-driven personalised predictive models for elite athletes - Prof Kerrie Mengersen (QUT), Dr Paul Wu (QUT) and others.
- Spatio-temporal modelling of fire ant movements using sattelite images and ground-based observations - Prof Kerrie Mengersen (QUT) and Dr Insha Ulla.
- Spatio-temporal modelling of cancer data using SANOVA - Dr Susanna Cramb (Cancer Council Queensland).
- Spatio-temporal downscaling of rainfall using copulas - A/Prof Andrew Metcalfe (University of Adelaide).
- Who's the best cricketer? A comparison of test match performances over the last 120 years - Dr Pete Philipson (University of Northumbria).
- Bayesian inference of phylogenetic trees using Hamiltonian Monte Carlo - Matthew Robinson, EPSRC funded PhD student (2015-18), jointly supervised with Dr Tom Nye and Dr Andrew Golightly.
- Bayesian calibration of stochastic kinetic models using Dirichlet processes mixtures of Gaussian processes - Aamir Khan, EPSRC funded PhD student (2014-18), jointly supervised with Dr Andrew Golightly.
- Information geometry for phylogenetic trees - Maryam Garba, School funded PhD student (2014-18), jointly supervised with Dr Tom Nye. PhD thesis now submitted.
- Bayesian modelling and analysis of ranked data - Stephen Johnson, School funded PhD student (2014-17), jointly supervised with Dr Daniel Henderson. PhD thesis now submitted.
- Urban sustainability through Data Analytics - Yingying Lai, SAgE Faculty funded PhD student (2014-18), jointly supervised with Dr Andrew Golightly and Prof Phil Taylor (Newcastle Institute for Research on Sustainability). PhD thesis now submitted.
Previous research projects:
I have been involved in numerous previous projects with academic staff, PhD students, MMathStat project students and summer project students
Current main duties:
- Head, Pure Mathematics and Statistics
- Joint Editor, J. R. Statist. Soc. C (Applied Statistics): 2017-20
- Adjunct Professor, School of Mathematical Sciences, Queensland University of Technology
- Associate Investigator, Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Mathematical and Statistical Frontiers (ACMES)
Professor Richard Boys
School of Mathematics & Statistics
Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK
Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 7297, Fax: +44 (0)191 208 8020
E-mail: richard.boys at ncl.ac.uk