Part of my role on the School's Admissions and Recruitment Committee involves organising, and running, various outreach activities for local schools, colleges and sixth form centres. Since 2009 I have visited many local schools, and attended events, to give talks and run activities - including:
- "The storm of the century!"
- "The Pepsi Challenge: can you tell the difference?"
- "The truth behind speed cameras: regression to the mean"
- "Who's the thief? Bayesian Statistics and the lie detector test"
- "Oceans of Opportunity: careers in Marine Science"
- "Life as a Maths student at Newcastle University"
- "A Future in Mathematics"
These talks have been delivered as one hour hands-on workshops, full afternoon workshops, guest lectures (e.g. the Royal Institution Master Class series) and talks at advice sessions for sixth-formers. Material ranges from topics accessible to year 8 students right through to sixth form students. Please contact me for further details, or see the section on our School's webpage.